Hello again folks!
Apologies for the lack of an entry last week. Anyone would think I’d gone off to Centre Parcs with the family and forgotten to mention it on here. The kitchen wasn’t particularly good there, so there wasn’t much I could have done on the baking front anyways. The Koala made some friends though:
Anyways, we’re back and we’ve got something very tasty for you this week – Bailey’s and chocolate cheesecake. I looked at a couple of recipes for this one:
Both of the recipes had their merits. The first one looked more straightforward and had the bonus of not requiring any baking in the oven, meaning there was less chance of me screwing it up. However, the amount of Baileys in the recipe, contrasted with the amount of cream cheese made me anxious that the Baileys flavour would get drowned out by the other ingredients. As it wasn’t baked, I didn’t feel comfortable adding more Baileys to the recipe without ruining the texture of it.
So I settled on the Allrecipes version instead. The image on the website looked more what I had in mind – the colour and texture looked closer to the Baileys drink. I had a brainwave with regards to the biscuits though but more on that in a second:
As you can see in the photo, I chose to use Oreos for the base. They have a very rich, dark flavour that isn’t excessively sweet and I felt they’d make a good contrast to the smooth cream texture of the cheesecake itself. Of course, being Oreos, they had their own small problem:
Most cheesecake recipes suggest using a food processor to crush the biscuits but sadly I didn’t have one available. Maybe I could something with a-
Once the Koala’s sugar-fuelled rampage had come to a stop and it was safe to enter the kitchen, I checked my work surface over:
I mixed together the cocoa powder, melted butter, sugar and biscuit crumbs and lined the base of my tin. The recipe said to bake the base for a few minutes but I was in something of a rush and didn’t have time to do this. It didn’t affect the outcome either.
Mixing the cheesecake itself was fairly straightforward, although I’d had a flick through the comments for the recipe. Most agreed that only using four tablespoons of Baileys gave the cheesecake a very mild flavour – I wanted something with a little more bite to it and ended up using ~12 tablespoons. I mixed the cheesecake using a mixture of whisking and folding in the flour and cocoa with the figure of 8 method that worked so well on the brownies. With regards to the flour and cocoa, I used fairly levelled amounts rather than heaped tablespoons. When it was all put together, I was rather worried – the mixture seemed incredibly runny and I was afraid that it wouldn’t bake properly or the texture would be awful.
Thankfully, it was neither:
I’d made this for my gaming group on the bank holiday weekend and I think it went down pretty well. For myself at least, the texture of the cheesecake was spot on – just the same as the store bought cheesecakes I’d had in the past. The Bailey’s flavour was strong – possibly a little too strong. Next time 9 tablespoons will be sufficient. The base hadn’t suffered from a lack of pre-baking – it was firm without being crunchy and wasn’t overly sweet. The added cocoa powder helped a lot in that regard.
Overall I’d definitely chalk it up as a success but there’s room for a little fine tuning.
See you next week (on time hopefully >.>)!